Tuesday, September 8, 2026

If We Do Not Defend Our Right to Vote, Then American Democracy Ends Here and Now

The allegations Trump has made about "massive voter fraud" in American elections have been one of the biggest provably false statements he has ever made.  They have also been some of the most revealing statements he's made about how he plans to rig elections as President.  Every accusation he has made about fraud and "rigging" elections is a direct clue to his plans for rigging the upcoming mid-term election.  

Of course, the claim that there has been massive voter fraud has been proven, multiple times in multiple ways, to be absolutely false.  But if you examine Trump's claims, and take a good look at what Marc Elias has has to say about how Trump is planning on rigging the midterms, you can see how the two things fit together.  Elias keeps things moving by filing lawsuits and getting courts to rule that Trump, as President, has no authority over elections.  That's slowed him down but Trump's getting things into the Supreme Court now, and all bets are off when it comes to what those renegade anti-Constitutionalists will do. 

So we, the people, those of us who know that Trump is a complete and total demagogue, and a fraud, need to support every effort made to make sure this election is neither suppressed nor stolen by Trump and his cronies.  We need to do everything we can, as small as it may seem, to make sure that the results of this election reflect the will of the people.  

What does that look like?  

I talk to my neighbors, a few of whom run now when they see me coming, because they know what I'm going to say and do.  I went to a local drugstore, bought a box with a hundred cards and envelopes, and a roll of stamps, and I send out handwritten notes to everyone on my address list, warning them of what is going on and encouraging them to take every step to make sure their ballots count.  I'm sure there are a few Trumpies on my list, but they get the point.  I know it has had some effect, because I've received notes and emails in  return, most of them thanking me for reminding them, a few of them telling me not to send them anything else.  

I've called my representative, expressed my view and offered my help.  I'll do whatever I can.  

And I will vote.  That's the most important step in this process, voting.  Because when we cast our ballot, we are disrupting the attempt to stop it.  And, knowing what we know, and being reasonably intelligent people, we will cast a ballot for those individuals who we believe will do the most to bring down Trump and his cronies and administration.  

If your state gives you the opportunity, make voting easy by simply marking the straight Democratic box on the ballot.  That makes voting easy and quick.  If you vote by mail, make sure it gets in the mail right away, or take it to the drop box for your precinct.  But make sure that ballot gets cast and counted. 

And yes, here it comes, I've made a financial contribution to the effort to stop Trump and his unconstitutional attempts to steal the election.  That's part of the effort that is also necessary.  It was a sacrifice but I did it anyway.  The corporate wealthy are going to spend whatever they think it takes to protect their own and they can buy election outcomes.  So I consider anything given money well spent. 

If the Republicans manage to maintain control of Congress under this President, we can say goodbye to American Democracy, along with a fairly regulated economy, our social security and Medicare benefits which we earned, and the life that we know now.  The country will become a hostile place for anyone who doesn't bow to the Heritage Foundation and its definition of what it means to be American.  That will be the consequence for every Trump opponent, now approaching 70% of the voters and adults in polling data, for not participating and doing everything possible to stop this demagogue.  



No comments:

Post a Comment