Friday, February 3, 2023

Thank You, President Joe Biden, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer

Thank you, with all of the gratitude I can muster, for your work in ensuring that the inflation legislation got through before the party of NO! took control of the House.  Let me tell you just how your work has been such a benefit and a blessing to me.  

I take two kinds of insulin, and two kinds of cardiac medication due to developing type 2 diabetes in my early 50's and having an arrhythmia from a bad case of pneumonia back in my late 20's.  The cost to me has varied, depending on my employer-provided insurance, something Democrats have advocated for and supported for as long as I remember.  

Last fall, I went on Medicare.  I have all of the parts necessary for the prescription coverage, hospitalization, it's good insurance.  However, I got a scare when I tried to refill my insulin, found out that neither kind I take is on the insurance formulary for coverage, and the deductible and cost of the daily dose that I take came out to just over $1,000.  Now that's a ridiculous profiteering price for any kind of medication, and we all know that.  But the manufacturer and retailer have everyone over a barrel with the price.  Then, my other brand also ran low, and the deductible and cost came to over $300 for that.  

But, picking up the phone and calling my provider led to the discovery that the price limits of $35, put on insulin costs in one of those wonderful inflation fighting bills that the Democrats got through Congress, will apply to me, on Medicare, and that there are three key people to whom I owe my debt of gratitude, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, along with my wonderful Representative Mike Quigley, and one of my favorite members of the House, Ruben Gallego of my home state of Arizona.  

This is exactly the kind of issue government is intended to resolve.  And this is exactly the kind of representation and government that benefits the people, who empower it.  It makes me proud to be a Democrat and even more committed than ever to make sure I do my part to make sure all of these people continue to represent us.  It also makes me committed to do my part to make sure that those who are only self-interested and agenda driven are not elected to office.  I won't cast a ballot for a Republican.  



No comments:

Post a Comment